Monday, December 1, 2008

Gangnung Fun

This past weekend I went to visit a friend in Gangnung (on the east coast of Seoul).

I had a great time and I'm glad I got the opportunity to see more of Korea before I go away. I drove my car all the way and didn't get into any accidents or take the wrong highways! This is a real accomplishment for me since I'm not so good with directions and I've never driven "Silvia" (yah thats my car's name so wut) outside of my little home town.

So on with the pictures....


First stop....the sea at night. These two pictures were taken just after the sea had rushed up and drenched my shoes up to my calves....wonderful when I only had one pair of shoes. It was okay because Ji Hoon dried my shoes the next day with a hairdryer....lol.

This is my angry face....I'm pretending to be angry with the camera man for telling me to keep walking backwards....into the water.....funny that he didn't get his shoes wet.....bugger.

Year of the Boar (pig or whatever). I heart 1983. This is the Chinese zodiac symbol carved in human sized form....thank god pigs aren't that big. That would be a little frightening no?

After I got my shoes wet, JiHoon and I decided to call it a night since I'm not the type to carry around a spare pair of shoes...okay sometimes I do...but not this time. The next afternoon Jihoon took me to the sea again but this time to the fish market. I didn't take any pictures of the fish because JiHoon told me that if I look at something people would basically force me to buy something, and I have no use for a squid...no matter how squiggly they are. This is a picture of me overlooking the sea and a slew of boats!

These are the boats that they use for catching squid...they turn all the lights on and the squid flock to the light making it easier to catch them....kinda like a moth I suppose. I did get a pic of this man working on his boat....I really wanted a pic of the people separating the fishing nets for my dad but Jihoon, being as Korean as possible, was too worried about people getting annoyed with my picture taking. I tried to explain that I could say it all cute and make that cute face but I think he figured I would just scare them ;)



The life of a fisherman does not look like an easy life at all.

Meet Jihoon. This is a friend that I actually met on the internet. We met a few times before and I figured that I would go see him in Gangnung before he moves back to Wonju after finishing his final exams. I must say that this man has a lot of patience...he didn't even get frustrated with my stupidity, silly poses, and constant picture taking!
Me.....not my favorite picture.
The fishermen enjoying a wonderful Sunday. They climb down the water break and fish off the little cement blocks....
View from the water break...

This is the water break....those weird shaped things are used to ....break up the water......I can only assume.
One of my favorite pictures from the trip. I look really peaceful and happy.....I was in this picture for sure :)
Our next stop was lunch. We decided to stay at the fish market to have lunch. The circle things are squid and the other things are different types of fish.
Jihoon showing off his mad chopstick skills...lol


Oh yah I'm shoving a loverly piece of O-Jing-Oh (BBQ Squid) in my mouth...I actually enjoy squid as crazy as it is.
I like this pic too.....pictures of me eating are few and far between............................not!
I'm unsure in this picture....the things on my chopsticks are actually fish eggs...pretty large fish eggs. They make a popping feeling in your mouth when you chew them...its a little awkward. I really like the really small eggs that you usually eat with Sushi but these ones are not the greatest. BUT I did try them :)

The after math of trying the weird eggs......or was this the point where Jihoon explained that the somewhat yummy brown sauce was the insides of the squid squished onto the top of the bbq'd squid pieces...weird and kinda gross.



Our next stop was to the world's Largest cruise ship that is on land. It also doubles as a hotel and really cool tourist stop.

I love this picture.....grab the bull by the horns....it's the way I try to live my life.




Jihoon is 6 feet tall.......he makes me look like a midget.......sick


A picture from the cliff....absolutely gorgeous....you wouldn't get from this picture that it was FREEZING COLD!!!





A picture from the boat at sunset.......


hmmmm just relaxing and enjoying life.




Another pic with me at the front of the boat........WTH is the "front" called?




That's it. Life is great and I had an absolutely wonderful time hanging out with JiHoon. I loved it and I can't wait for my next road trip in Korea :) Thanks for reading.

No comments: