Monday, October 5, 2009

Cooking Class in Chiangmai

So unfortunetly I made Dean end our Pai adventures early. Why you ask? I wanted to do a cooking class. I feel bad that the entire trip seemed to be "me" oriented...but then ya'll know me right?

Okay so the menu was: PadThai (which I totally burned), Hot and Sour Prawn Soup (Delish!!), awesome green curry, a trip to the market, chicken and cashew nuts, spring rolls and a dessert of sweet sticky rice and mangos. OMG I was full and completely happy by the end of the day....now if only i could replicate these recipies :(


This is the work area....it was really nice and airy, always important when cooking in a tropical climate!!! There were six students for the first half of the day. The second half of the day was just two of us :)
Our wonderful teacher!!!

the first menu item, Pad Thai....looks better than it tasted....I tried to make this once I got home...a complete failure. Dean was a real sweetheart about it...seriously I know he was trying to make me feel better. "Well it's not Phad Thai Annie, but it tastes like really good noodles". Well bless him, he's such a sweetheart. It reminds my of that country song where the guy eats a bunch of burned meals so that he doesn't hurt his wife's feelings....well I tried anyway. :(
Next up, Tom Yam Soup....absolutely splendid. I have a bunch of packs and I intend to make this for dean at some point. Hey maybe I'll make it this week!
Ingredients for Green Curry. Who'd a thunk that there were different kinds of egg plant....The bulb like think and the little pea shaped things are actually different kinds of egg plant. Cool huh?

MMMM splendid!
A quick break to check out the stinky local market. It reminds me of the markets I took my family to in Guatemala. Remember mom? The one where Grandma threw up into a garbage can after eating something funny?

Chicken and Cashew Nuts- ingredients all chopped and prepared.
Result? Divine!
Also Divine!
And words can't describe how friggin good this was....I'm drooling just thinking about it!!!!!

3 comments:

Why am I here??? said...

YUMMY YUMMY YUMMY!!!

James said...

LOL You should post the recipes! I'd love to try and re-create it and see how close I get.

Grant McKenzie said...

Yum! I think I might do that either in Vietnam or Thailand. My cooking skills can ONLY improve!