Friday, January 23, 2009

What to pack?

Okay so most of you know that I'm traveling to Vietnam and the Philippines for a month. I've never traveled for a month before, unless it was to move to a place semi-permanently like in Guatemala or Korea. I'm worried about what I should be taking with me. I want to pack as light as possible because I don't want to be stuck with a bunch of suitcases and have to carry them around when I'm traveling. I'm keeping it to one bag and if I have to I will mail anything that I buy back to Korea or Canada. That way I can just keep on the move and not worry about the luggage. Does that sound like a good idea. I don't know much about backpacking since I've never really done it.

What are some things that you could recommend I take with me. Obviously I'm taking my camera!!!!

-camera
-1 pair of jeans
-two pairs of capris (one black one offwhite)
-3-4 t-shirts
-1 sweater (cause it is apparently chilly there right now though I'm sure nothing compared to here)
-sandals
-my converse runners (cause they are almost dead anyway and I'll probably pick up a few pairs of cute shoes when I am there) (should I take my running shoes?I'm probably not going to do a lot of strenuous exercise...but I may go on a hike)
-underwear and bras....ofcourse
-socks
-two summer style dresses
-cardigan
-ipod
-passport/copy of passport and birth certificate/e-tickets
-bathing suit
-book to read
-x-stitch thingy to keep me entertained
-guide book
-money (Philippine and Vietnam) can be done at the airport
-shampoo/conditioner/bodywash/toothpaste and toothbrush/ makeup and face cream
-???

Can you help me? What things am I forgetting? I'm starting to get nervous....this is unlike me :)

What am I supposed to do with my coat? Do I take my winter coat with me?

Thanks for your help guys

Annie

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It really easy to travel for one month in one bag. I did 3 1/2 weeks in Costa Rica in one bag. ALL of my international travel has been one bag.

Go to onebag.com.

Anonymous said...

Oh, why do you need your birth certificate? Make sure you have your visas (for Vietnam, don't know about Philippines) and your Korean ID card.

Also, sunscreen. Lots of it, though with the liquid restrictions you might want to buy it there. A floppy hat?

I probably wouldn't bring jeans because they are so slow to dry, but I know other people love them. I find a long skirt a lot better than jeans. Quicker to dry, easier to walk into water if needed, and some temples require them. You could probably get away with only one dress, easily.

I would layer on the clothes and skip the winter coat if the weather looks good in both places. Bring a lightweight windbreaker with a hood in case it rains. Which it probably will.